Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Full cooking demo can be found on Instagram @ocrualaoifoods
• 1 tbsp plain flour 2 tsp sweet paprika
• 450g (1lb) sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
• 25g (1oz) butter
• 2 tbsp sunflower oil
• 1 large shallot, finely chopped
• 150g (5oz) button mushrooms, sliced
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
• 150ml (1⁄4 pint) chicken stock
• 4 tbsp white wine
• 2 tsp tomato purée
• 1 tsp dijon mustard
• 150ml (1⁄4 pint) soured cream
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• fluffy rice, to serve
1. Toss the flour and paprika together in a shallow dish and add some seasoning, use this to coat the steak pieces.
2. Heat half the butter and oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Add the steak and stir-fry for 4–5 minutes, until sealed and lightly browned. Tip onto a plate and set aside.
3. Reheat the pan over a medium heat. Add the rest of the butter and oil and then add the shallot. Sauté for 2–3 minutes, until softened but not coloured. Increase the heat to high and add the mushrooms to the pan with the garlic. Sauté for another 2–3 minutes
4. Add the white wine vinegar and allow to bubble right down. then add the stock, wine, tomato purée and mustard, stirring to combine
5. Tip the sautéed beef with any juices back into the pan, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 5 minutes, until the sauce has reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir the soured cream into the pan and return to the boil, then reduce the heat again and simmer gently for a couple of minutes, until the sauce has thickened and slightly reduced. Divide the fluffy rice between warmed plates and spoon over the beef stroganoff. ENJOY!