Full cooking demo can be found on Instagram @ocrualaoifoods
• 4 Lamb Shanks
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion finely chopped
• 2 tbsp tomato purée
• 250ml light red wine
• 2tbsp plain flour
• 500mlstock vegetable, chicken or lamb
• 2 carrots chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 thyme sprigs
• 1 bunch parsley, leaves chopped separately to the stalks.
1. Preheat the slow cooker.
2. In a large hot frying pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and brown the lamb shanks all over. Once browned transfer the shanks into the slow cooker.
3. Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and fry the onion gently until it starts to turn translucent, then stir in the tomato purée and flour and cook for a minute.
4. Add the red wine to the pan and bring it to a boil, stirring the flour, purée, onions and the wine together until you have a smooth sauce. Tip into the slow cooker.
5. Pour the stock into the same pan and bring it to a boil, then tip into the slow cooker. Add the carrots garlic, bay leaves, thyme and parsley stalks to the slow cooker and put the lid on. Cook on low for eight hours or on high for four hours. Turn the shanks over half way through cooking.
6. After eight hours the lamb should be tender and starting to fall off the bone. If the sauce is too watery, lift out the lamb shanks, separate the liquid from the vegetables using a colander. Put remaining liquid into a pan and boil it rapidly to reduce it down.
Serve over creamy mash…. Delicious!