Beef Bourguignon Recipe
(Serves 6-8 People)
- 5 Smoked Bacon Rashers finely chopped
- 2 lbs Steak Pieces
- 1 cup Red Cooking Wine
- 2 cups Chicken Stock (use a stock cube)
- ½ cup Tomato Passata
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Plain Flour
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Thyme, finely chopped
- 5 Medium Carrots, peeled & cut into chunks
- 1lb Baby Potatoes
- 8oz Button Mushrooms, cut into quarters
- Fresh Chopped Parsley for garnish
- In a large frying pan cook Bacon over medium high heat until crisp. Put Bacon in slow cooker. Salt and pepper the beef and add to the pan. Brown on each side for 2-3 minutes. Transfer beef to the slow cooker.
- Add the Red Wine to the pan scraping down the brown bits on the side. Allow it to simmer and reduce and slowly add Chicken Stock, Tomato Passata, and Soy Sauce. Slowly whisk in the Flour. Add the sauce to the slow cooker.
- Add Garlic, Thyme, Carrots, Potatoes and Mushrooms to the slow cooker. Give it a good stir and cook on low until beef is tender for 8-10 hours on Low or high for 4-5 hours until beef is really tender. Garnish with Fresh Parsley and serve with Creamy Mashed Potatoes.
If you don’t have a slow cooker, just use a heavy based saucepan with a tight fitting lid and cook in oven at 160c for 3-4 hours until beef is tender.